Shahukhala hat-trick sees off Himalayan


Santosh Shahukhala’s stoppage time goal helped Three Star snatch a 3-2 victory over a struggling Yeti Himalayan Sherpa Club in what turned out to be a dramatic encounter in the Red Bull Martyrs’ Memorial ‘A’ Division League at Dasarath Stadium on Tuesday.

The win also moved Three Star to third in the standings.  In the other match of the day, 10-man McDowell’s Ranipokhari Corner Team (RCT) stunned Jawalakhel Youth Club 1-0 to go level on points with leaders Machhindra Football Club.

Ganesh Khadka’s 37 minute strike had put Himalayan ahead only for skipper Shahukhala to pull Three Star in level terms in the first half added time. Shahukhala then reversed the lead five minutes into the second half before Himalayan leveled the score through Jean Ruben’s own goal six minutes later.

Finally Shahukhala completed his hat-trick and sealed the match for the Patan based outfit in the last minute of the second half added time.

Three Star’s four match winning streak has left them a point adrift of leaders-Machhindra, who stand atop the table. Himalayan, on the other hand, will start feeling the pressure buildup as their winless streak continued. A draw and three losses in their last four matches have left them hanging a place above the relegation zone, with four points.

Nevertheless, the thrilling match was not free of controversy as the losing side were reduced to 10-man for last 15 minute after Hope Rally was sent off with a second yellow for entering the ground without the consent of the match referee Srawan Lama, arousing serious confrontation from the coach, Meg Raj KC, who demanded answer from Anfa and the referee for adhering to the ‘favouritism’ while giving their decision. “Biraj Maharjan, who is a Nepali international, was not cautioned for the similar gesture against Friends Club,” said KC, keeping his calm.

“He was only warned. But on our case, referee gave a marching order. Are national players above the rules of the game,? questioned KC. We gave a tough fight to the stronger side but that controversial decision ruined the game.”

The game began brightly as both the teams passed and moved the ball with slick incision. As Three Star were beginning to dominate the game with better possession halfway through the first half , Khadka gave a Himalayan the lead against the run of play, firing a one touch volley into the top left corner from the edge of the box.

The goal added more spice to the game, making it fast paced and more entertaining. Three Star were not affected by trailing rather they played with optimism, keeping possession and trying to level the score from set piece.

Earlier in the day’s kick off RCT, who played the whole second half with 10 men after Noor Raj Kafle was given his marching orders for the second bookable offence on Prabin Karki in 42nd minute, stunned Jawalakhel thanks to the all important goal by in form striker Amar Dangol.

Dangol tapped into an empty Jawalakhel net after being fed in by Oladipo Afeez. RCT are level on points with leaders Machhindra with 13 points.

Posted on: 2012-12-12 08:34